Tuesday, January 12, 2010

live and learn

Well I had a totally different post planned for today until I tried to use my credit card this morning.

So this is just a reminder to all of you out there who use credit cards...which I would assume is everyone.

I ordered a new printer today (which I will talk about later now) and was trying to use my credit card to order it and the man kept telling me my credit card would not go through. I thought...ok this has happened before...sometimes when they are working on the computers at the credit card company for some reason my card won't go through at that exact moment. Run it again, I told him. Nope, sorry, he said, it won't go through.

So I got off the phone with him and called the credit card company. I immediately knew something was wrong when they directed me to customer service right away...I mean how many menus and pushing buttons do you usually have to go through to get to a customer service rep, right?

So the woman on the other line says "I'm sorry, but there have been fraudulent charges on your card, I need to direct you to security." As I'm sitting in my chair waiting, I'm wondering if I'm going to pass out first or have a heart attack and then pass out. You know that sinking feeling you get when your blood runs cold, you hands start to shake, and your heart starts racing.

Yep...that's the one.

So security comes on and asks me to verify everything of course...all while I can barely choke out the words because I'm so shaken up. Evidently at the end of last week there was a very small charge on my card...and then today there was a MASSIVE charge on my card. "WHAT?" I exploded on the phone....the poor woman on the other end was probably debating calling 911 for me. Between my hyperventilating and questions she kept saying "calm down ma'am...it's ok."

So she got me calmed down enough to explain what was going to happen. The guy was probably checking to see if the card worked by putting a very small amount on it and then wait a couple of days and sent the whopper charge through.

So thanks to some idiot who wanted to steal my credit card I now get to fill out tons of paperwork and have to worry about having my identity stolen.

At least there is a little light at the end of the tunnel...I do have 0% fraud liability on my card. Let's just hope that holds up.

Why me? I kept thinking. This kind of stuff doesn't happen to us!

BUT IT DID!

LESSON LEARNED!!! BE CAREFUL!

Keep your eyes open and check over your credit cards, personal information, etc. Make sure you know your credit card companies terms on fraud, because it can happen to you.

Trust me when I say you don't want to go through this mess.

So although it was not about scrapbooking...I hope everyone learned something today...because I know it was definitely a wake up call for me.


2 comments:

Cami said...

Holly -
OMG!!! I hope that it will all get straightened out for you!!! I had that happen last summer on my debit card and the bank has a protection plan on their cards so I was safe....but had to get a new card and number. I know that feeling of a cold sweat and hands shaking....it is scary out there how people can get into things like that...Cami

Amy Peterson said...

Holly,
I am so sorry that that happened to you! How frustrating, scary, and agrivating! I hope it all works out in the end. Were you ever able to pinpoint how that information fell into the wrong hands? Thanks for helping us to learn from you! Good luck with your paperwork!