Thursday, April 8, 2010

online shopping

Spent a little time today putting in an online shopping order. Next to my camera this is the most I have researched an item before buying. I settled on this.
The Janome 11558 Sewing Machine from Overstock. It is a refurbished machine, which made me a little nervous...but all of the reviews were great and tons of people said that the machine was in better shape than a brand new one from a store because all of the kinks had been worked out when it is sent back to the factory. Makes sense, I guess. They claim all refurbished machines have to go through 2 inspections instead of 1. So I took a risk...and a $9.99 2 year replacement plan....and bought it. It ended up being $89.99 for the sewing machine plus the $9.99 protection plan. I didn't think it was too bad....especially after being told by many people that I would not find a good machine for under $100. This machine had better reviews than many of the $200-$300 machines. There was no way I was spending much over $100 for a sewing machine, when I don't even know if I will be able to sew. Hopefully I made the right choice. I have TONS of pages online bookmarked for projects to make. I can't wait to get started.

First things first though and I have to learn out to even turn the thing on. To help me I bought this book


I have read many good reviews about it on some blogs. Thought I would give it a try...since I know NOTHING about sewing. Like I said...turning it on may be challenging, and I'm not joking.

First up is a belt for my little girl. I cannot find a toddler belt ANYWHERE. Poor little peanut is between sizes and has her little bottom hanging out everywhere we go.

I'm sure there will be some interesting pictures up on the blog after I start! :) Hopefully this is way easier than I think and I'll just be a natural sewer....it can happen, right? I am quite determined though and really want to self teach, so we'll see how it goes.


No comments: