Wednesday, April 28, 2010

the belt



 

Alright so here are some pictures of my very first sewing project.  Doesn't look so bad right?  Let's take a closer look. 


 Still not so bad, right?

 

Here is where it really gets fun.  Look at the "straight" stitches I was able to make.  Notice how the top stitch slooowly starts to go upward.


Now check out the nice wavy lines on in this area.  Also notice how I completely missed the side of the belt when I tried to overcast the edges on the top of the belt.  That area is already slowly starting to fray away.  I'm sure by looking at it no one would guess that this was my first time sewing, right?  At least from a distance you really can't see the stitches.  Only when you get really close can you tell it is a rotten job of sewing! :)

So there you have it.  Next up?  

Beanbags

Funny enough I had a client in the salon tonight who reads the blog.  She kept saying to me "Why don't you just buy this stuff?"  "You know there are people out there who have beanbags for sale, right?"

When I was younger I HATED sewing.  My mom made me do a couple of sewing projects for 4-H and I hated every minute of it.  Never in a million bajillion years did I think I would sew when I got older.  I think for me right now it is just a new challenge.  It is something that I know NOTHING about and it is so fun to just be able to say "Hey, I CAN do this!"  Well fine I can't really say that quite yet....but that is the end goal.

No, I won't be sending my child to school in an outfit all sewn by me.  I am far from that and probably will never get there.  It would be fun though to be able to whip up a bag for her or just little doll clothes or something like that.  Like I said....just another way to challenge myself a little bit.  Keep learning.
We are headed tomorrow morning to look at another possible place to put the salon.  Trying to keep as many options open as we can.  I'm excited at the prospect of redoing my salon.  It is something I have been wanting to do for awhile and I think it would be fun to start in a new place.

I think the stress is beginning to hit both Troy and I.  I am fighting a sore throat and the onset of a cold tonight.  I have lots to do the rest of the week and hopefully it will hold off until later this weekend.  We are both headed to bed and it is only 10:00.  Not normal....at all.

No comments: