Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"J" the sitter

This is one of our favorite babysitters.



We'll call her "J" just to protect her privacy a bit (and hopefully retain her as our sitter), otherwise I'm sure her phone would be ringing off the hook with job offers.

"J" has been with us since almost the very beginning.  I believe Khloe was about 5 months old when she started sitting for us.  We couldn't have asked for a better sitter...most of the time.  I think there might have been one time that she was late.  I think she overslept.  By the time she got to our house, I gave her the furrowed brow and really let her have it and then she was never late again.  I think I scared her a bit.  

Then there was recently when my daughter told me that "J" taught her to point with her middle finger.  Hmmmm  I'm still not sure Khloe was lying about that?!?!

So "J" babysat for us after school and during the summers.  Then she passed us off to one of her friends because I suppose she found something better to do with her time.  That hurt a little bit and I cried a little bit.

In the three years that we have had Khloe we have only gotten a sitter at night 3 times.  It has always been "J."  The first time she was 6 months old and we went out for our anniversary.  Well tried to.  We went to leave and decided the house was getting really warm.  Our air conditioner broke.  So we stayed home for a bit and tried to fix it and by the time we left for our dinner and movie we were a sweaty mess and running late. 

Date number two was New Years Eve this year.  We were both sicker than dogs and had no business leaving the house, but some friends had invited us over and we thought maybe in our case a bit a laughter really was the best medicine.  It was....until about 10:00...then we came home and crashed.

Date number three was a week later.  "J" couldn't believe we were calling her again.  I think her response was something like "Whoa gettin a little crazy aren't we?  Two dates within a week?"  Which I have to admit was a little crazy for us.  So we left to go see the movie "Unstoppable."  Not before my daughter told us she couldn't wait for us to leave.  We returned home 10 minutes later because the theater was dark.  Do you see a pattern happening here?  This is why we never go out.  Well luckily my husband has a good head on his shoulders and instead of pouting like me, he got on the phone and called the theater to find out that someone had just shown up and all of the workers "forgot" to come in.  How does that happen?  Anyways so we left and headed back to the theater.



So my little three year old has got a pretty smart head on her shoulders.  She likes to play people a bit.  "J" is easily played.  She lets the little peanut sometimes get away with some things that she shouldn't.  So all we hear around our house now is "Well "J" lets me do it."  We have been trying and trying to break this habit, but when we try and tell her that "J" isn't always right she says, "Well "J" lets me do it, and she is the best."  Really?  I leave you with her for a couple of hours 2 nights this year and she is the best?  How quickly my child turns on me.

Ok so maybe "J" isn't all bad.  The other day Khloe is sitting at the table and does some weird things with her hands and says to me "That is how you say "milk" in sign language."  WHAT?!?!  Then she says ""J" taught me sign language."  I didn't tell her I thought she was just making up for teaching her to point with her middle finger.


P.S. I didn't really furrow my brow and let her have it when she overslept and I don't think she is very scared of me


P.S.S.  I think she ditched us because she went to college and we loved her friend that she passed us off to, as well as "J's" sister who occasionally babysits for us.  Sadly, not one of them decided to drop out of college to be our full time babysitter.


P.S.S.S.  I really don't think "J" would have taught Khloe to point with her middle finger.  Had to be one of those naughty kids at daycare......


P.S.S.S.S.  "J" really is one of the BEST babysitter.  She always thinks up awesome things for Khloe to do and teaches her cool things, like sign language, and has more patience then both Troy and I combined.  Khloe loves her to pieces.  Oh and she has one of the best singing voices I've ever heard.  I'll let you know when she tries out for "American Idol."

No comments: